Salary band 4 –Professional 4T
The Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) is an international cooperation company for sustainable development that operates worldwide. Since 2011, GIZ has supported the African Union Commission (AUC) in the establishment of the Pan-African University (PAU). The PAU aims to build a network of reputable African universities with the objective of promoting the quality of higher education in Africa and boosting scientific research. This network must be at the heart of the continent's development. PAU also aims to support institutional capacity building to make African higher education institutions more competitive globally.
The PAU is made up of five thematic institutes (one in each region of Africa). It offers master and doctoral programs in specific fields and applied research programs geared towards development. The institutes will collaborate with satellite research and higher education centres in other regions of Africa, while working closely with the public, private and civil society sectors.
The four existing institutes of the Pan-African University are supported by key thematic partners (Key Thematic Partner, KTP). Germany is the main thematic partner of the Pan-African Institute for Water and Energy Sciences (including Climate Change - PAUWES), which is hosted by Abou Bekr Belkaïd University in Tlemcen, Algeria. The other pan-African institutes are located in Cameroon (Institute of Governance, Humanities and Social Sciences), Kenya (Institute of Basic Sciences, Technology and Innovation) and Nigeria (Institute for Life Sciences and the Earth, which includes health and agriculture). The fifth institute (space science) will be set up in South Africa.
The PAU Central Rectorate in Addis Ababa (soon to be relocated to Cameroon), manages and coordinates the academic and administrative affairs of the PAU. The Department of Human Resources, Science and Technology (HRST) of the Commission of the African Union (AUC) is responsible for the development of the PAU.
The Master's programs at PAU aim to provide quality education to graduates from across Africa, including those from the African diaspora, in order to avoid the brain drain and contribute significantly to the continent's development. After their studies, the students have to play a major role in the transformation of Africa. They are called upon to become leaders (transformation agents) in their fields of expertise in the private and public sectors as well as in the academic world of Africa.
The Pan-African Institute for Water and Energy Sciences (including Climate Change) opened its doors in October 2014, offering two Master's programs (Water Science Engineering and Energy Engineering). During the academic year 2015-2016 two Master programs in Governance (water and energy) were launched, since October 2016 PAUWES has reached its capacity for the Masters programmes with cohorts of 70-80 students starting each year in October.
The advisor is responsible for
- managing an area of responsibility that forms part of the programme objectives, team agreements and agreements with the superior
- assisting project/programme initiatives to provide professional advisory services to and cooperate with a broad range of target groups
- innovation and knowledge management
The professional advisor performs the following tasks:
- Advising the partner institution in the area of Academic Affairs and its Interface with Institutional Development
- assists and monitors the development and implementation of project/programme plans and activities in the field of academic affairs in close consultation with counterparts
- contributes to preparing and implementing the coordination process, joint project/programme activities and work at the regional level
- deals with the design, preparation and implementation of workshops, seminars and other events on issues connected with the project/programme’s area of activity
- develops and organises quality assurance measures and suggests necessary changes, improvements and initiatives
- ensures linkages between academic and institutional development processes
- Networking and cooperation
- supports cooperation, regular contact and dialogue with partners, assists with PR work and cooperates with relevant organisations and individuals in the project/programme environment and with other projects to improve and maintain good working relationships
- communicates local interests and efforts, forwards these and encourages sharing ideas and information for the benefit of the project/programme
- Knowledge management
- ensures knowledge transfer to project/programme information
- develops ready-to-use strategies and technical concepts, including guidelines, manuals and procedures
- draws up reports and presentation documents
- prepares appropriate input for various project/programme reports including annual reports, and contributes to the other reports required by the programme manager and GIZ Head Office
- assists with research activities and studies on political issues which benefit joint programmes.
- Coordination tasks
- assists with general project planning and develops project concepts including preparation, organisation and moderation of planning exercises and their implementation, management, monitoring, quality management, evaluation, communication and documentation
- coordinates relevant project activities at local level in consultation with the manager and in cooperation with the partners, both as regards implementation and preparing organisational aspects
- compiles the relevant information for joint activities and assignments
- handles order management on behalf of GIZ (e.g. offer preparation, impact monitoring, project progress review, reporting)
- Required qualifications, competences and experience
- masters/MSc (PhD an asset) in in education, education management or related social sciences; or in water or energy sciences
- at least 5 years’ professional experience in a comparable position (programme coordinator at a higher education institution or advisory for international cooperation projects in the area of education/skills development)
Other knowledge, additional competences
- very good working knowledge of ITC technologies (related software, phone, fax, email, the internet) and computer applications (e.g. MS Office, Access or other database programme)
- excellent knowledge of English and French, knowledge of German is an asset
- experience in project management and research experience in an area related to the project’s requirements is desirable
- willingness to upskill as required by the tasks to be performed – corresponding measures are agreed with management
- Conditions of Employment
Duration of contract: fulltime from September 2018 – February 2019 with the possibility of extension
Probation period: 3 months
Job location: Tlemcen, Algeria
Please send a CV and motivation letter (both in English) to email@example.com